Monday, 27 April 2015

Avant-Garde hair

I took part in a workshop in the middle of the term that allowed me to showcase some of the skills I had learnt. It was really interesting having the opportunity to put together all different techniques into one hairstyle. It was also really exciting being able to use the dolls head that had really long hair, which was a nightmare to brush as it constantly got tangled.

One technique that I learnt which required a lot of attention was the hair weave. I quickly realised that it is a lot like basket weaving except it is more complicated than it looks. I decided to practice with a small part of hair at the bottom of the head.

  • For preparation I had to hairspray individual strands of hair and then straighten each strand with tongs.
  • This made the hair very crusty and slightly sticky which makes it easier to work with.
  • It is actually a simple process of over, under, over, under etc. 
  • You will find that depending what direction you are doing it in, it will lean in that direction.
  • As you do each strand when you get to the end of a row you have to wrap it over the last strand.
  • Then when you start a new row you have to do the opposite of the row above.
I only did a small section as I lost my patience very quickly but I persevered. I also rolled it up into a low bun to give it more shape and tidiness. Along with technique I also used crimping, wiggle plaits, and stuffing and balling.

















No comments:

Post a Comment